5 Ways to Remain Professional
When your world is falling apart ...
Posted on: 27/11/2011 By: Jenny Eaton
Yes, I can be prone to exaggeration especially when it helps me make my point. However, on this occasion I have to say I am simply being honest. The last 4 weeks or so have been so challenging, I have felt as if the world was tumbling down around me ...
remaining professional when the world is falling apart around you is quite a challenge
I have been concerned about my Dad who had a suspected heart condition and has been in and out of hospital, including a trip with blue lights in an ambulance. I was car-less for about a week as the one I had on loan had to be returned before I had found another to replace it. Then there were issues over my house and then the washing machine broke, so at times I felt overwhelmed with the things I had to deal with.
So I was coming to work for a breather from all this when a Genie fell ill and we needed to call an ambulance for her. It was hard to remain calm as she is our first aider and the rest of us usually look to her in these situations. (I'm happy to say that she is back at work and doing well!) But when you are the voice of several companies, it doesn't matter what is happening at home or in the office you still have to sound chirpy and upbeat and thrilled to be answering the telephone.
So here are the things that I have done this month that have helped me:-
- Being work focussed - when I am at work I focus on all things related to work. Keeping my mind busy rather than allowing myself to think about things.
- Smiling - before each call I take a deep breath and smile, this helps me to sound happy over the phone even if moments before I felt angry and frustrated.
- Confiding in colleagues - sometimes just having someone to talk to helps me put things in perspective and knowing I have support makes me feel better.
- Looking after myself - by taking breaks, sleeping well and making sure I eat and drink properly. You cannot function properly if you are constantly anxious and don't give your body the fuel or time away from the stress.
- Being Positive - I found it much easier to do my job and be happy if I wasn't spending all my time thinking about the worst thing that could happen.
I was hoping things might calm down a bit and then somebody pointed out its December this week. So we are about to commence the panic of Christmas shopping and the round of Christmas parties before the stress of the big day itself. It looks like this month might be just as hectic, but in a more positive way!
Until next time ...
I love playing with words and I have dreamed of being a writer since I was a child. With a romantic idea of scribbling away in a cold attic room with my trusty fountain pen. I have always dabbled, but until now it’s not come to much.
When I started with The Office Genie it was to provide me with a part time income to support my writing. Over time though I have developed into the Marketing Genie on a full time basis. I love it, I get to play with words all day as I try to share the dream and the passion that Jacqui has turned into The Office Genie. My work involves blogging, letter writing, email writing, web copy writing, e-book writing, campaign planning, strategy planning, social media interactions – it’s like I write and talk all day every day, my parent would say it’s the ideal job for me!
My first blog posts were about my day to day life as a Genie but they are growing into sharing my view of the business world. I am passionate about helping small businesses be the best that they can be, standing out from their competition in the small things that come together to give an impression of great service – to find out how we can help you should call me on the number below.